Skip to Content


Expand All Content
  • We would highly recommend considering the exchange program during the second and/or third year of studies so that students have a larger number of courses to select from that would be applied to their program of studies. We would also recommend students keep elective courses for the exchange program.

  • The application for fall semester will be open in November and for spring semester in March; therefore, students should start their Texas State Exchange Program Application a year prior to their selected semester abroad.

    Fall or Academic Year Applications
    Opens: November 1
    Closes: February 1

    Spring Applications
    Opens: March 15
    Closes: October 1

  • Students need to complete only one application and at the general section of the Texas State Exchange Program Application, list other two university choices. If later students decide to apply for another university, the Exchange Program Coordinator will switch the applications to reflect these changes.

  • International Students can participate in an exchange program (outside of their home country) and they will pay in-state tuition. International Students have to contact International Student and Scholars Services  (ISSS) at to see what steps they will need to take to go abroad. Please also note that visas may be required; therefore, international students must check the cost and the length of time it takes to receive their visa before paying the application fee.  

  • Students need to complete a Transfer Credit Agreement Form (TCA) to determine if the courses will satisfy their degree requirements. This form can be found at the learning content of the Texas State Exchange Program Application. Students can also contact the Exchange Program Coordinator to learn more about the exchange program progress and to get an access to a TCA.

  • The Transfer Credit Agreement (TCA) form is used to evaluate the classes students plan to take while on their Education Abroad program. We highly recommend submitting this form before students make their final decisions regarding the host university for their exchange program. Students can submit the TCA forms for up to three universities to determine which partner university is the best fit for students based on their course approvals. If students want to add later additional courses to the previously evaluated TCA from, they will have to submit a new TCA form to the Exchange Program Coordinator. Students can submit a TCA form once they are abroad as well.

  • Specific course information can usually be found on each university’s website. Please check the individual exchange program pages for the most up-to-date information under Exchange Destinations.

  • The language of instruction varies depending on the exchange program. In some universities, courses are taught in English and foreign language skills are not particularly required. However, where the language of instruction is not English, fluency in the language of the host country will be required. Each university brochure on our website has a link to courses taught only in English.

  • On behalf of the students, the Texas State Exchange Program Coordinator will contact the host institution to clarify any specific details regarding the exchange, courses, transfer credits, etc. Once the students are accepted by the host institution, they are encouraged to have a direct communication with the coordinator at the host institution.

  • The Exchange Program Coordinator will be reviewing all applications within two weeks after the application’s deadline. The Texas State Exchange Application is considered approved once the application status is changed from “pending” to “committed”.  During the next two weeks our partner universities will receive students’ nomination and once nominations are accepted (it usually takes between 3-5 days), students will receive further instructions from the host institution on how to complete their application process.

  • Once the nomination has been accepted by our partner university, students will receive an email or link from our partner university to complete their application and submit all required documents by the specified deadlines. It usually takes between 1-3 months for our partner university to issue the official acceptance letter. Students will receive the official acceptance letter via email and/or by post.

  • Most long-term study abroad programs require a student visa. It is important to contact the embassy or general consulate of students’ country of destination to inquire about specific visa requirements as early as possible. Visas may take months to be issued and it is recommended to apply for it as soon as students receive the official acceptance letter from the host institution. Once students are accepted by the host university, the host university will provide a guidance on how to obtain a student visa to their country. More information about student visas can be found on our website under Important Information (Visas).

  • Students will receive financial aid as long as they enroll in courses at our host institution that satisfy their degree requirement. Students need to complete a TCA form and have courses evaluated and approved by their academic advisors. Please contact the Texas State Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to inquire about specific disbursement dates since they depend on students’ program and type of financial aid. Students should begin investigating the funding options for education abroad, including grants, personal savings, scholarships, and loans, as soon as possible. More information about financial assistance, can be found on our website under Financial Assistance.

  • Students will receive instructions regarding housing arrangements after their nominations are accepted by the host university. Types of accommodation will vary from one location to another, whether it be a university dormitory, apartment, hotel, camp, or with a private family. We highly recommend watching the Exchange Student Testimonials posted on our website to get insight information from returned exchange students about housing arrangements and other important topics.

  • At Texas State, students will register for International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) courses (place holders) via Catsweb, following the instructions provided by the Education Abroad Office.

    At the host university, students will register for selected courses, in most cases, after arrival. The host university will provide a guidance and assistance during on-site orientation.

  • The tuition and insurance fees will be sent to students’ bill. The deadline to pay these fees is according to Texas State payment deadlines. Students can use three payment options to pay the balance due – Payment Options.

    The housing and boarding (in most cases) will be paid directly to our partner universities. These balances might be pay before or after students’ arrival to the host university. Students need to follow instructions provided by our partner university.

  • Students are required to complete three forms while they are studying abroad to be in compliance with financial aid and education abroad regulations.

    Confirmation of Enrollment Form

    Verification of Academic Engagement Form

    Verification of Program Completion Form

  • Transcripts are usually issued using the grading system of the country where the institution is located. Texas State Admissions Office will convert grades to the American grading scale (A, B, C..), and those are the grades that will be posted on the student’s Texas State transcript. The Admissions Office uses a table of conversion depending on the country of origin:

  • All grades, which are listed at the official transcript from our partner universities, will be transferred back to the students’ degree plan. Grades will be entered as “transfer credits”. Students can replace this grade only if they take the same class at another university and will have a “transfer credit” for this class.